Featured

Looking For Love in All the Wrong Places

So, my sister and I are currently single baby boomers and have tried online dating with ghastly results. Just seems the older you get, the worse trying to date gets, especially online. But perhaps we should give it another try? But with so many bad experiences, it's hard to get back into it.

baby boomer datingLike the guy who dressed all in black looking like a cross between Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash who had just escaped from a mental facility. His hair was dyed jet black, and his skin was a ghostly white. He told me his wife had committed suicide and he had several issues with his mother and sister for years. By the end of the night, I ended up recommending therapy to him. Needless to say, I ran like hell from the bar when the meet ended.

baby boomer datingThen there was the guy who said he only smoked socially in his profile. I arrived first and ordered a drink. He walked into the bar smoking, smoked throughout dinner, lighting his cigarettes off the last cigarette he was smoking. I had said I preferred a nonsmoker in my profile. He also closed his eyes every time he spoke. A huge sign of someone not wanting to face the truth. I did and never talked to him again.

The last online date I went on was the rocker guy, who posted a photo from a century ago. When he walked into the bar, I spotted him even though he looked 20 years older than his online profile photo. The bags under his eyes seemed to go on forever. He sat down and started to unload his problems. He told me he was depressed and rarely slept. He admitted he had erectile dysfunction disorder caused by the depression medication, which was one of the main reasons for the ending of his marriage. I suspected he was on a lot more than antidepressants.

I've learned through many dating experiences that some people aren't really looking for love. They are looking for help. And they think you will be the answer to their unending misery. It was to be one of the nights, I chose to pass on dinner. When I left the bar, he was crying. I said I would pray for him.

Julia and I are not perfect, and we don’t expect anyone else to be either. What we expect is a happy, honest person with a good heart. Someone who shares the same values, ideology about life and who has a spiritual belief. Someone we have things in common with and who loves to do the things we enjoy doing. Plus, it’s always nice to get a fresh perspective on life. So, there must be differences too. However, the old saying opposites attract, but won’t last, bears out over time. So there has to be a happy balance of commonalities and differences.

Should we try online dating once again? My belief is love finds you when you are ready. You don’t have to seek it out. When the time is right, it will just happen. But still, as the years go by, we wonder what happened to all the great men out there?

I am beginning to think the best advice I ever received about dating was from a male work colleague years back. "If you're lonely, get a dog. They are better company."

So, on the weekends, you'll find the baby boom sisters walking Peanut Butter and Lucy along the trails of the majestic Connecticut parks.

We would love to hear your comments about online dating. Perhaps you've had great success with online dating. Tell us about your experiences.







Comments

Popular Posts